It’s sometimes hard to summarize who you are as a company, but at some point you need to be able to articulate this to your employees so they can believe in what they are accomplishing and they can articulate those to your customers.
Core Values and ‘Who We Are’
Create or refine your Core Values and “Who We Are” mission statement for your company.
What are your core values?
Think about 3-7 short value statements that characterize how your team thinks and interacts together, and how you interact with your customers.
Walls By Design examples:
- Be a guest
- Be a communicator
- Be a problem solver
- Be a team player
- Be thoughtful
- What is your business story?
- How did you start?
- Why did you start?
- What were you trying to accomplish?
- What kind of team did you want to build?
- What kind of service were you trying to offer?
- How have you changed?
- Where are you going as a company?
- Who are you serving?
- How do you serve?
Think about printing and framing oversized copies of your Core Values and/or your Who We Are statement in a public place where you can review them as a team. Also, place them on the About Us section of your website and social media.
Creating an intentional schedule to review and discuss your ‘Who We Are’ summary and your Core Values with your team will help keep it top-of-mind for everyone. Consider the following opportunities for communication, and advise your team to calendar your selections.
- Weekly team meetings – consider highlighting one core value or a part of your Who We Are statement and asking your team what it means.
- On-site, field huddles – have a supervisor recognize an employee for honoring the core values
- Monthly round-ups – this is a great place to bring everyone together for monthly recognition submitted by team leaders
- Yearly awards – consider an awards lunch where teams and employees are recognized for adherence to core values