Every session will provide a list of the Big Ideas that you can take away from the audio or video content. This is not an exhaustive list of ideas, so remember to take your own notes!
To hire good people, you need to market the position and your business well.
Before you hire someone, you need to have a profile of an ideal candidate, a position description, and a plan for how new hires will come on board and grow with you.
Hiring process at Walls By Design
- Decide on a job ad agency. (Walls By Design uses Craigslist.)
- Create an ad with a focus on the ideal employee profile you’ve created.
- Ask them to respond to you, and ask them to answer a humorous question to gauge their attention to details.
- When you set up an interview, ask them to call at the meeting time to gauge their punctuality.
- In the in-person interview, ask questions similar to what they’ve already answered in the job ad, and look for follow-through and consistency.
- Once someone is hired, complete employee paperwork and run a background check.
Test Day is day one with the team that is a paid day that functions as a test of the new employee’s ability to perform well on a team.
Test Day Form filled out by coworkers:
- On time
- ‘Get Shit Done’ Ability
- Good attitude
- Stays off phone
- Asking about breaks
- Overall rating
- Desire as a teammate
- Additional comments
First week training (probationary period):
- Set up shop
- Put a masker together
Walls By Design teaches painting basics in a Painting Center
(See Session 14 for continued advancement and Performance Based Pay)