Included in every session will be one or more Skill Set exercises to help you engage with the Big Ideas presented. While this is optional, don’t cheat yourself and move through the Roadmap without applying the concepts you’re learning! Challenge yourself to complete every Skill Set activity and see what changes in your business as a result. We promise good things will happen.
Have you considered getting a separate bookkeeper and accountant? Reflect for a moment on the importance of having strong accountability and council in your business, especially from the beginning. Are you clear on the skills and unique perspectives each distinct role brings to the table? The following activities may help inform you as to whether a bookkeeper, accountant, or both would be beneficial in your company.
- Talk to some of your peers in the industry and ask them the following questions:
- Do they use a bookkeeper, an accountant, or both? Why or why not?
- Do they see the value in having both?
- Do they plan on making changes in the future of their business? If so, when?
- Find a bookkeeper and an accountant to ask the following questions to:
- Do they see value in having separate roles in a company for a bookkeeper and an accountant? What stage of company growth would be best in which to introduce these roles?
- What different perspectives and accountability might they bring to the roles and to the company’s finances?
- If the roles were to be blended, under what conditions would this be most effective?
- Decide how you want to proceed in your business:
- Do you see the value of separate roles for bookkeeper and accountant?
- What stage of your business would you like to incorporate each?
- Do you have a plan on researching good bookkeepers and accountants? Have you talked to your peers or other businesses owners to get recommendations or feedback?
- Create a list of potential bookkeepers and accountants, and interview them.